NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band Wi-Fi Gigabit Router (R7000) with Open Source Support
The Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band Wi-Fi Gigabit Router known as the R7000 is meant for ardent gamers who want to save some money creating an updated wireless network. Cheaper than its counterparts, it does deliver a rather strong throughput but doesn’t match other 802.11 ac routers’ range.
This is a beautifully designed monster dual band which lacks a built-in ADSL mode. This problem is however solved by buying an external modem with it. It comes with 4 LAN ports, one WAN port, one USB 2.0 port and a 3.0 port.
This is supposedly one of the fastest AC1900 routers around. It’s fast enough for gaming purposes and offers long range and stable connectivity over distances. It can be either wall-mounted or placed on a shelf.
The black Netgear R7000 has three finlike antennas on its back which use the help of beam-forming technology to optimize signals. They are adjusted to grab the best signals or replaced by third-party options.
Its dozen status LED lights in front indicate when the router is turned on. Additional lights show if its Ethernet ports are active and if Wi-Fi transmissions are on. There are also switches for power, disabling Wi-Fi transmissions and for activating WPS. An additional recessed reset button removes firmware setting for starting over.
The Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 is powered with a 1 GHz dual core processor and needs only 5 minutes to create a Wi-Fi network. As it’s well synced with the Netgear genie app, its installation and management is a breeze.
Its combined 1900Mbps Wi-Fi makes this the ideal modem choice to use in large homes. Moreover, its high-powered amplifiers ensure there’s a strong signal throughout the house.
Efficiently handles multiple devices
The Netgear Nighthawk AC 1900 can automatically detect and emphasize on gaming and streaming needs without any lapses. It can also efficiently handle and provide for various high usage devices at the same time.
The Netgear Nighthawk offers content-based parental control feature where parents can filter and keep a track of the content children watch on the internet. It’s versatile enough to be used as a router, wireless bridge or access point to provide Wi-Fi network throughout the house. The R7000 lists and maps clients and has a Traffic Meter for monitoring what comes and goes.
- It’s 1 GHz dual core processor gives users the best streaming and gaming experience
- It’s genie app provides devices with remote access where required
- Can control what children watch through its Parental Control feature
- Good Wi-FI speed offers long range internet connectivity
- Offers optimal USB network performance
- Has a beautiful, slick design
- USB port is front mounted
- The unit is slightly large in size and thus takes up more desktop space
- Not all ports are at the back of the unit
- Range is not as good as other AC1900 rivals
- It’s easier setting up ASUS and Linksys
- Firmware features are still not a reality
- No CD with manual or software- has to be downloaded